Metisse: old news
- Metisse was briefly presented by Rémi
at X@FOSDEM. If you
want to know more about the current state of the system or our future
plans, just send an email to
as part of the
village" organised for INRIA's 40th anniversary celebration.
- Rémi Cardona was hired
by INRIA to work on Metisse. Rémi
has been a Gentoo
developer since 2006.
- Mandriva Spring is out, featuring Metisse.
- We've been recently working with Mandriva people to
bring Metisse to a broader audience. As a result, Metisse will be part
of Mandriva Spring 2007 and is already available as a Live CD based on
Mandriva 2007.0 and GNOME. More information, including download links,
- Metisse 0.4.0-rc4 has been released, together with
núcleo 0.6. This release includes the new copy/paste interaction
techniques that will be presented at CHI 2007.
- This page illustrates our
latest work with Metisse, which will be presented at the
next CHI conference in April 2007
- This video shows a preview of the User Interface Façades. This system, implemented on top of Metisse, will be presented at the next UIST conference in October.
- Access to the wiki is now restricted (we got tired of fixing it because of people who find it cool to "hack" a world-writable website). Contact Olivier or Nicolas for login information.
- The Metisse code base is now available via anonymous CVS.
- A wiki has been set up.
- Metisse will be presented at UIST'05 on Monday ,
October 24, 2005: Metisse is not a 3D desktop! (Olivier Chapuis,
A new release of Metisse with a lot of
fundamental changes is planed to be released before the end of this
(3D Desktop): Um novo conceito de interface gráfica!, by
Alessandro de Oliveira Faria (Viva o Linux).
- 2004-12-16: metisse-0.3.5
- Changes: An Xwnc crash caused by
off pixmap rendering was fixed. A depth 16 Xwnc crash was fixed (Xwnc
can be ran at depth 16 again). Some gcc-3.4 mmx code from Xorg (for
composite operation and filling) was added (small speed improvement).
FvwmAmetista Image encoding handling was improved.
- 2004-12-01: metisse-0.3.4
- Changes: A temporary lock with
applications which draw a lot of disjoint rectangle at once was
fixed. A core dump caused by very big cursor was fixed. FvwmAmetista
configuration was improved. Handling of FVWM tips was improved. X and
Y rotations of windows were improved for respecting
pseudo-gravity. The wnc protocol was augmented for clearly distinguish
the root window.
- HOWTO: Building metisse
RPM package for Fedora Core, by Thomas Chung (Fedora News).
- Metisse: An Experiment in Three
Dimensional Thinking, by Dave Fancella (Linux Weekly News).
- 2004-08-12: metisse-0.3.3
- Changes: Implemented "software"
cursor (for Mac OSX). Enabled the experimental fvwm-insitu
focus/stacking policy styles for text selection and xdnd (after fixing
a possible crash in fvwmi). Fixed bad (jumping) position of windows
during a resize (interactive or not). Fixed fvwm icons related crash
reported by Tony J. White. Added some configuration support for fvwm
icons (However fvwm icons are not really supported by FvwmAmetista).
Removed the grey lines around the windows.
- 2004-07-28: metisse-0.3.2
- Changes: Added support for ARGB
cursors. Fixed FvwmAmetista iconification (button 3 on the task
bar). New option -p to FvwmAmetista which causes mipmap generation;
this improves rendering of transformed windows (but this needs more
memory and slowdown rendering). FvwmAmetista now use RGBA textures
(faster); new option -a for forcing RGB textures. New option -t to
FvwmAmetista which disables the use of the stencil buffer (this break
shaped window). Added GLX extension to Xwnc (for OpenGL applications);
the rendering is not accelerated. Added XRecord, XFixes and double
buffer extensions to Xwnc. More --enable-freetype compilation fixes.
Fixed compilation with gcc 3.3 and gcc 3.4.
- 2004-07-05: metisse-0.3.1
- Changes: Improved window
operations handling. Fixed cursor jumping when moving a window. New
command SaveFrame for creating screen shot. If you upgrade add
'AFuncPointerKeyAmetistaCmd f A "sma SaveFrame"' in bindings and
"Ctl-Shfit f" will create capture.jpg. Updated documentation. Fixed
building problems with gcc-2.9. Fixed compilation with
- A new version of nucleo is available. This
version solves various build problems.
- New Looking Glass Alternative (Slashdot).
- 2004-06-28: metisse-0.3.0, the first public version of Metisse